Other Family

Parent Visas

If you have children in Australia and would like to lodge an application to remain in Australia permanently you may be eligible for a parent visa.

To be eligible to apply for a parent or aged parent category of visa you must be sponsored by a child and ensure that you meet the balance of family test. The Balance of Family test states that you must have at least 50% of your children residing in Australia as Australian citizens or permanent residents. In addition to the balance of family test you must be of good health and character.

There are 2 categories of Parent visas:

  • Contributory Parent visas (143 offshore and 864 onshore)
  • Non-Contributory Parent visas (103 offshore and 804 onshore)

    All onshore Parent visas are subject to the onshore age requirement. This means they must be of an age to be eligible for the aged pension.

    All applicants for parent migration must be sponsored. At the time the visa application is made, the sponsor must be a 'settled' Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or 'eligible New Zealand citizen'.'Settled' means a person must have been a resident in Australia for a reasonable period, which under policy is usually two years.

    Contact us now to determine your eligibility and costs involved
  • Child Visas

    There are several types of Child visas:

  • Child visa - Onshore 802, Offshore 101
    is a permanent visa for a child, adopted child or stepchild of an Australian citizen, permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen. The child must be sponsored by their parent or that parent's cohabitating spouse or de facto partner.

    An applicant must be under 25 years of age. An applicant who has turned 18 years of age must be a full-time student and financially dependent on their parent, unless disabled.

  • Dependent Child 445 Visa
    is a temporary visa for a dependent child, whose parent holds a temporary Partner (subclass 820 or 309) visa. A child can apply for a Dependent Child (subclass 445) visa so that they can be added to their parent's permanent Partner (subclass 801 or 100) visa application.

  • Orphan Relative Visa - Onshore 837, Offshore 117
    is a permanent visa for a child under 18 who has no parents to care for them because both of their parents are either deceased, permanently incapacitated or of unknown whereabouts.

    The child must have an Australian relative who is their brother, sister, grandparent, aunt, uncle, niece or nephew. The child must be sponsored by either their Australian relative or that relative's current cohabiting spouse or de facto partner. The Australian relative, or their spouse or de facto partner, must be an Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen who is aged 18 years and over and must be settled in Australia.

  • Adoption 102 Visa
    is a permanent visa for a child who is outside Australia and who has been adopted or is in the process of being adopted by an Australian citizen, holder of a permanent visa or an eligible New Zealand citizen through an intercountry adoption programme which involves an Australian state or territory central authority and the relevant adoption authority overseas.

    If you would like to check your eligibility for this category of visa please contact us to discuss your situation.